Saturday, August 28, 2010

What Does Respect Mean for America

I wrote my column for InsiderRacingNews.com on respect this week. I titled it an Open Letter to Tony Stewart. My personal feeling is that good manners is a form of respect including whatever we do.

Lack of respect is shown by not treating everyone like we would like to be treated. My daughter teaches high school biology. In her classroom there are two rules. 1)Be nice 2)Do your best.

I think all of life would be better if all of us would 'just be nice'.

Is Tony Stewart the only NASCAR driver to not show respect to his fans and the media. Of course not. But Tony Stewart is right out there with his feelings and it becomes evident how he feels.

This extends to the Internet. Just read comments on any news story, twitter or blogs. People can be very disrespectful to anyone who disagrees with them.

Michael Waltrip tweeted recently: Need to learn to debate topics without resorting to insults. It shows a complete lack of intelligence. The unfollow button is easy to find.

I couldn't agree more!

No comments: